The Boat Race of the Summer is Coming!!
Saturday, July 14th, 9:30-12:30 pm
Everyone in the family is welcome to this fun event. For those new to the regatta, this is a fun outing where the Scouts propel their home made boats along a “rain gutter” using nothing but air-power. We will have a separate race for all siblings that want to join in on the fun as well (additional kits are available at the scout shop). All Scouts should wear their Class B pack t-shirt.
Pre-Race Judging in the following categories starts at 9:45 am:
- Best maritime theme
- Most colorful
- Best scout theme
- Most patriotic
- Most creative design
The race will be held at the SAM Lunch Shelter. Snacks and drinks will be provided. If you have not started creating your sailing craft yet, check out the links on our Resource Library Page or Google for some tips! Please review the Official Rules below prior to building your crafts.
PACK 811 RAINGUTTER REGATTA OFFICIAL RULES
1. Official Kit Required
The boat must be newly built for the current Cub Scouting year. The boat should be substantially built by the Scout. Parental supervision in the construction of the boat is encouraged. The boat should be assembled from the B.S.A. Raingutter Regatta Kit parts only. Additional decals, paint, and glue are permitted. (Kits and decals are available at the Scout Shop.)
2. Length, Width and Weight
- Overall width shall not to exceed 2 inches.
- Overall length from bow to stern (including rudder) shall not exceed 7.00 inches, nor shorter than 6.50 inches
- The mast can be no taller than 6.50 inches from the deck surface
- The boat must have a single hull. (No catamarans or split hulls will be allowed.)
- The sail must be the one supplied with the B.S.A. Raingutter Regatta Kit. The sail may be trimmed and shaped, but may not be larger than the material supplied.
- Racers cannot touch the craft or water during the race.
- All competitors and their families are expected to act in a sportsmanlike manner consistent with the standards of the Cub Scout Motto.
The Derby Chairperson has the right to disqualify those cars from the official scout race that do not meet these specifications. Any disputes, challenges, or controversies shall be resolved by a majority vote of the event executive committee consisting of the Derby Chairperson, Cubmaster and Pack Committee Chair.
Please contact Roxana for any questions. Hope to see everyone there!